Decode and conquer the most common types of supplemental essays with this deep dive into the college application’s school-specific assignments.
Are you asking yourself:
- What is a supplemental essay and why does it matter?
- What are the most common supplemental essay topics and how do I answer them?
- How can I organize and tackle my supplemental essay prompts with maximum efficiency?
- Where do I find the supplemental essay prompts?
- What if a school I apply to is not on the Common or Coalition App? (Hello UC system!)
We have the answers.Enroll Now
So, you’ve polished off your personal statement (what we at College Essay Academy often refer to as “the Loch Ness Monster of college essays”). Just when you think you’re in the clear, you realize there is a barrage of additional assignments and challenges to tackle ahead. It’s attack the supplemental essays!!! These supplemental essay “gremlins” are often intimidating: there are a lot of them, they can be annoyingly specific, and you definitely shouldn’t feed them after midnight (not even a bite). There is also no sign that schools will be assigning less of them in the coming admissions season. In fact, with many schools shifting to test-optional policies and a more holistic assessment of students, supplemental essays hold more weight and power than ever before in the application process. The good news is that we have collected our most effective strategies for conquering these essays in Lesson 7. (Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!)
This lesson will teach you everything from how to approach the five most common types of supplemental essays (Why, Activity, Community, Short Answer and Oddball) and spot overlap between essay questions, to why schools are asking you to write these essays in the first place. While they may be time-consuming and difficult to parse at first, supplemental essays are actually an incredibly valuable tool for expressing additional interests, goals and motivations to admissions. You have so few opportunities to speak to admissions officers in your own voice – don’t you want to take advantage of every opportunity you have to show a school how you can bring value to campus and why you are the perfect fit for them and vice versa? (Of course you do.) Whether you are applying to Harvard or Stanford, Michigan or Maryland, Duke or UVA, Tulane or the UCs, we will help you communicate what is most important about your talents, personality and values via essays about your extracurriculars, work experience, reasons for applying, or even your favorite word! (Thanks UVA.) So get ready to become a supplemental essay expert with our strategies for slaying these little essay monsters.
This lesson will teach you:
- How to differentiate and approach the different kinds of supplemental essays.
- What admissions officers are looking for.
- How to work as efficiently as possible while digging into your supplement pile.
- The secrets to crafting an effective Why, Activity, Community, Short Answer and Oddball essay.
- Tips and tricks for effectively using the Common App’s Additional Information essay.
And so much more!
Includes this extra awesome resource: Our “Why Questionnaire and Essay Organizer” will lead you through the brainstorming required to craft a compelling and informational “Why?” essay and help you keep track of and identify valuable overlap in your supplements!Get Started