Learn the art of sculpting a story and crafting a compelling narrative that will hold an admissions officer’s attention from start to finish.
Are you asking yourself:
- How do I get the attention of an admissions officer from the very first sentence?
- How can I ensure the main point of my essay is communicated strongly and clearly and that I am emphasizing my best qualities and characteristics?
- Are there interesting ways to approach college essay storytelling that I may not have thought of already?
- How can I craft an effective conclusion that leaves a lingering impression with admissions?
- Once I’ve written my first draft, how do I tell if it’s any good?
So you have a fistful of freewrites and an awesome outline in hand, and you’re wondering how to pull your best ideas into a story with a defined structure, an effortless flow, and a pointed purpose. Which of the words you’ve written thus far do you keep? Which do you cut? And, how do you organize your narrative in a way that will immediately grab the attention of admissions officers and keep them hooked from your first word until your last?
This lesson will teach you the secrets of good storytelling as related to the personal essay. Learn everything from how to think about the order of events as you construct your narrative to identifying and emphasizing a story’s turning point and central message. What should an admissions officer know about you or the situation you’re describing for proper context? What should they remember about you when they finish reading your essay? And how do you set up the key points by building dramatic tension? We also reveal the dos and don’ts of college essay storytelling, strategies for using metaphors and structure to add variation and intrigue to your submission, and end with the final test to ensure your essay is accomplishing everything it is meant to accomplish. You have come this far in your essay writing journey – make sure your draft is headed in the right direction with Lesson 5.
This lesson will teach you:
- How to turn your freewrites into a solid first draft.
- Tricks for telling a compelling story from start to finish.
- The secret to crafting a killer opening line.
- Tips for writing a conclusion that resonates with your reader.
- How to best structure your story to emphasize your best qualities and communicate your central message.
And so much more!
Includes this extra awesome resource: Our “Story Structure Organizer” will walk you through three exercises to help you identify your main point, key moments, and story structure.Get Started