Master brainstorming techniques that will lead you to your magic topic, and ensure the story you tell is unique and memorable.
Are you asking yourself:
- How do I start the college essay brainstorming process?
- What if I have nothing to write about? (How do I find something?)
- What if I have too many things to write about? (How do I choose?)
- How do I know when I’ve found the magic college essay topic?
We have the answers.Enroll Now
This lesson explores one of applicants’ most common college essay concerns: What on earth should I write about? Whether you are worried that you have nothing to say (“What if I’m BORING?!”), or too much to cover (“Which of my bazillion accomplishments does admissions want to hear about most?!”) one of the hardest parts of writing the college application essay is getting started. Where is the best place to begin? And how do you know if you’re moving in the right direction? What does admissions really want to hear from you?
College Essay Academy helps you take a flying leap into the college essay topic selection process, walking you through our favorite exercises and strategies for isolating your best stories including our signature Backwards Brainstorm and the Full Body Brainstorm. (The second one often involves ice cream.) We detail the most important brainstorming do’s and don’ts. Where you’re stuck, we unstick you. Where you’re overwhelmed, we help simplify and bring you back to the college essay’s core purpose. Our goal is to transform a brainstorming process that can be rife with academic pressure and existential crisis into a playground for self-discovery and expression. (We swear, we make it fun!)
Most importantly, we give you the key to what makes for a truly successful personal statement. How can you submit an essay that is both full of personality and deliberate in its message. Clear enough to be comprehended in a quick, four-minute scan, but also memorable days after an admissions officer has read it? Lesson 3 will teach you everything you need to know about finding your magic topic, one of the most crucial elements in setting yourself up for college essay success.
This lesson will teach you:
- The difference between a merely sufficient topic and one that will truly make an impact on admissions
- How to get your topic ideas flowing when you’re stuck
- How to narrow down your potential topics to isolate your best contenders
- The test that will tell you for sure whether or not you have a winning topic on your hands
And so much more!
BONUS Resource: Includes our “3 Brainstorming Challenges for the Brainstorming Challenged” worksheet to help you get those creative juice flowing!Get Started