Immerse yourself in details of the Common App essay prompts and find out what these questions are really asking you.
Are you asking yourself:
- What is a personal essay, and how is it different from the other writing you’ve done thus far?
- What are the Common Application personal statement prompts really asking?
- Which prompt is the best prompt? Which is the right one for me?
- How do I know if I’ve chosen the right Common App essay topic?
We have the answers.Enroll Now
Over the years, the Common Application’s queries have struck fear in the hearts of many applicants, demanding they tackle challenges such as sharing their background stories or discussing how they turned failures into successes. More often than not, the Common App has given students options, allowing them to choose their own adventure or follow their own fork in the road. Still, very few applicants are excited about diving into the deep end of the self-exploration and expression pool. (There could be sharks in there!)
The Common App asks for what most people would call a “personal essay” or a “personal statement.” (A what?) Personal essay writing is a very particular form of expression that turns the focus back in on the writer. Most students have never been encouraged to write essays in the first person, and they certainly haven’t been instructed to drop the formality required for most academic paper writing. A good personal essay will approach its subject with a balance of confidence, sincerity, humility, and even a little humor. Achieving that balance is one of the most difficult aspects of the task at hand – but that’s exactly what we’re going to teach you to do!
This lesson will also do a deep dive into the Common App prompts that have been developed to mine for your memories, aspirations, and goals. The Common Application provides seven such prompts, though students only have to respond to one. Still, it’s worth examining all of your options and trying to decode the prompts individually to really understand what the Common Application is trying to pull from you in response. So steel yourself for some epic prompt dissection — we’re going in!!
This lesson will teach you:
- The key elements you need to address in a personal essay
- How to express yourself with personality while also maintaining application-worthy polish
- The pros and cons of choosing each of the Common App’s seven prompts
- The one thing no one will tell you about the Common App prompts (Hint: They don’t matter as much as you think they do!)
And so much more!
BONUS Resource: Includes our “Common App Prompt Decoder,” a quick guide to unlocking the secrets of the Common App’s essay prompts!Get Started